Friday, September 18, 2015

Story Writing Challenge!

I don't know WHY I'm doing this right now, just when school is starting back up. Of course, I did school all summer, and I'm halfway through my August term, so it's nothing new for me. But I suppose that YOU all are toiling over snowdrifts of papers with math proofs and essays and notes for upcoming tests scribbled all over them. So I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to participate in this story writing challenge!!!!


Just to make things fun, your story must include all of these 5 elements:

1. A basket of cookies
2. A character who can breath fire
3. An object that can talk (say, a clock, a sword, a carousel horse)
4. A death scene
5. The word "lugubrious," because I like it.

Yes. All those things. Also, your story does not have to be long! 2 or 3 pages of story is nothing to sneeze at (as long as it's not double spaced O.O). Either share your story with me on Google+, or post it in the comments box (trusting it will fit :P), or post it on your own blog. I'll be posting mine here within a week or so, and I'll do an illustration for it, too! Eee! So excited. Can't wait to see what you all come up with. Happy writing!!!!






12 comments:

  1. Once upon a time, there was a sentient basket of cookies with a fire breathing dragon for a friend. The basket said to the dragon, "Hi!". That's when the dragon fell over dead. Lugubrious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I love it! It's a bit long, though; remember, "Brevity is the soul of wit." Work on being more concise. Still, your writing shows promise! XD

      Delete
  2. This looks like fun! I'll do it, because I'm trying to challenge myself with my writing. *nodnods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaaaaayyyy XD. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Hmm, fire-breathing should be right down your alley! ;D

      Delete
  3. (Lugubrious and death makes for a really depressing story. Here's what I came up with.)

    Waiting room hospitals always have a forlorn, deathly atmosphere. Families and friends anxiously await news from the doctors of their loved ones’. Crying is permitted and is a daily occurrence in this room as people are informed of complications, grim outlooks, or even deaths. Some people maintain a positive outward attitude and even sit with teddy bears, flowers, or baskets of cookies for their loved one after surgery. Most of the people waiting are silent and grimly stare at the wall, the floor, or inconspicuously check the time on their phones. Worry consumes their thoughts.

    Across the room, a man is told that his nine year old daughter entered into a coma during the removal of a tumor and isn’t likely to recover. Fire spews from his mouth as he hotly accuses the nurse of not trying hard enough to be careful with his little girl while tears stream down his cheeks and his glasses fog up. No one should have to watch their child die.

    Staring at something—anything—other than the lugubrious scenes of heartbreak is foremost in everyone’s mind. The effect of the waiting room carpet isn’t always as calming as intended. Somehow, the carpet becomes a canvas depicting a whirlwind of cascading emotions as a brave knight attacking a hideous dragon.

    “Yaah!” screams the knight as he charges the colossal beast with his sword held high. The dragon calmly smiles, smoke escaping out his nose as he draws in a deep breath to end the life of his foolish foe. The fight continues with neither giving ground until a doctor’s shoe suddenly appears and inadvertently squashes the valiant knight. The dragon laughs as the doctor’s face comes into view.

    One look is all it takes. The surgery was unsuccessful.

    The dragon has won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .___________. I wasn't expecting that. Wow. That's really good.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I didn't really want to write a fantasy story so it turned out really sad and depressing :(

      Delete
    3. Hmm, whenever I try to write sad and depressing stories, they just comes off as unrealistic and dumb. Yours actually worked. I'm impressed! *applauds*

      Delete
    4. WOAH. That was tragic, beautiful, terrifying, too true... I really like it! Nice job twisting the mythical aspect into a metaphor. *thumbs up*

      Delete
  4. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THIS CLOSE TO SCHOOL, NOW I WANNA DO IT

    AND I AM SWAMPED

    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete